Riding The Bus
WheelchairsAll buses are wheelchair accessible. Guests requiring ADA Paratransit transportation can call (970) 349-5616 to schedule a ride. Click here for more information >>
Dogs and other Animals
Mountain Express welcomes all service and avalanche animals*, as well as all well-behaved dogs on our vehicles at all times.
Non-service or Avalanche animals must comply with the following conditions in order to board the bus:
- DOGS MUST BE REGISTERED WITH THE TOWN OF CRESTED BUTTE OR THE TOWN OF MT CRESTED BUTTE.
- DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH.
- DOGS MUST WEAR A MUZZLE AT ALL TIMES. Free soft muzzles are available on all buses!
- DOG OWNERS MAY BE ASKED TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT BUS, IF THE BUS IS TOO CROWDED, SO LONG AS IT IS SAFE FOR THE PATRON.
- EMPLOYEES HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE RIDERSHIP TO ANY DOG WHO DISPLAYS BEHAVIOR THAT MAY CAUSE A SAFETY RISK.
- DOGS MAY BE ON LAPS OR ON THE FLOOR AT THE DRIVER’S DISCRETION, BASED ON SAFETY.
For more information on dogs on buses and animal registration click here.
*Avalanche animals must have proper identification.
Carrying Bikes and Skis
Bike racks are provided for your convenience. Use them at your own risk. Mountain Express is not responsible for any damage or loss of property. Loading and unloading is the responsibility of the passenger.
- Skis and snowboards are allowed on the bus. When you bring your skis and snowboards inside the bus, please hold onto them during your ride, to avoid any inconvenience to your fellow passengers. If you can, please help your fellow passengers/neighbors with skis.
- Bikes are not allowed inside Mountain Express buses.
- Mountain Express buses are equipped with bicycle racks on both the front and back of the buses in the summer. Some buses have a rack on the front in the winter.
- Loading your bike is on a first-come/first-served basis.
- If the racks are full, you will need to wait for another bus. HINT: Catch the next inbound bus or travel to one of the stops before the one you are at.
- Only people capable of loading and unloading their own bikes will be allowed to use the bike racks, unless accompanied by an adult who is capable of assisting.
- We strongly suggest you use the bungee cords provided on the racks to secure your bike to the rack.
- The driver is not in a position to assist in loading or unloading bicycles.
- Mountain Express is not responsible for bikes placed on racks.
Your Rights On Board
No person or group of persons shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. For more details see our notice. (English / Spanish. If you feel you have been discriminated against by Mountain Express staff for any of the above reasons while riding with us, we take this very seriously. You can read our discrimination policy and procedures for filing a grievance here. You may file a complaint by completing this form.
Other Policies & Etiquette
- Road and weather conditions may prevent us from running on schedule. Your safety is our number one concern.
- The Town Shuttle bus stops only at designated bus stops. The Condo buses in Mt. Crested Butte will stop anywhere on the designated route except on Gothic Road.
- Stop signs on Whiterock Ave at 3rd, 4th and 5th Streets on the Town Shuttle route are on demand or on call stops and require you, the passenger, verbalizing to the driver that you need one of those stops. It’s as simple as saying, “Next stop please” before the driver makes a complete stop.
- Be at your stop early. Watches and clocks seldom agree, and an error of a minute or two may result in a missed bus.
- No smoking, alcoholic beverages, hazardous materials or flammable liquids are allowed on buses.
- Use caution during wet or icy weather.
- Flash photography is discouraged for safety’s sake. A driver may ask you to refrain from taking photos with a flash.
Strollers, Wagons, other Transport Devices
- Strollers and other wheeled trailers may be carried on the bus if they are collapsible and do not obstruct the aisles, the emergency escape access points or the wheelchair lift.
- Children and babies are not allowed to travel in their strollers, unless such equipment is required due to a disability.